Thursday, July 5, 2012

Firecracker

In going with the theme of the 4th of July this title is appropriate. You see... our sweet little precious girl, whom the orphanage told us was so kind, with no temper, and very loving of the other kids... well, let's just say they were a little off the mark. This girl is a FIRECRACKER. I've been hesitant about posting these past 2 weeks because it's just been pretty hard. And I didn't want to write in the middle of hard. I needed some perspective. Which because I'm now writing, you can see that I have some!
Charles and I have been struggling in the parenting role. Walking the line between "typical toddler behavior" or "acting out due to grieving orphan behavior". Lots of fits, lots of demanding, some hitting. If you have a toddler does this sound familiar? Nothing we hadn't seen before with our other 2 (well maybe a little?), but our main struggle was how to handle it?
You see, the first month or so we had her, God was truly in control of this thing. And it was unbelievably smooth. But as time ticked on, and summer chaos ensued, I slowly got lazy, lack of schedule, lack of time with the Lord. So last week, as I had a full on come apart, God quietly whispered "You don't have to do this by yourself. You don't have to make these discipline calls. It's not necessary. Listen to me, let me do the work and I can handle it." Ahhhhh. You mean it could be as easy as the first month if I would just let him handle the "hard" for me? Yes, of course. Looking back it's a no brainer. But when you are in the throws of hard (and lack of sleep), you sometimes forget it doesn't have to be that way. By the way, He also whispered "toddler behavior, and parent as such". And we rejoiced.
So I'm happy to report we just have another toddler in the house. One that surely makes her presence known. And my stress level? Exhaustion level? Back to a "mom of 3" norm. She's a firecracker no doubt, but she's our precious firecracker. With a fiery little temper on occasion and a whole lot of love, to keep us all on our toes.

 To say my kids dressed themselves for the 4th goes without saying. And, you may note Mamie's Chinese silks on the 4th of July? I promise she pulled that out of the closet herself.  
Charles joked that she was in revolt.

Thankfully we had a very appropriate hair clip for the occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment